A sensor which is flexible or stretchable for use in many applications including detecting a hazardous substance and/or electromagnetic radiation. The invention has particular use in detecting the presence of hazardous gases and liquids as well as detecting ultra-violet (UV) radiation. Such transparent and flexible or stretchable sensors offer significant potential for the development of cost-effective, bio-compatible, functional and curvilinear electronic and optoelectronic devices.
This technology demonstrates that the incorporation of electronic materials, in particular, functional metal oxides onto mechanical conformal platforms offers a new pathway for the development of sophisticated, stretchable electronic devices that can be bent, stretched, twisted and folded into complex curvilinear shapes while maintaining their electronic characteristics, performance and reliability.
The technology has application for novel systems such as in vitro pH sensors, transient and printable electronic devices, sensory robotic skin and wearable electronic devices
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
· The flexible and stretchable sensors for use in detecting a substance and/or electromagnetic radiation.
· Sensors can be incorporated on non-planar geometries, which is a challenge with existing technology.
· Patent protection has been sought for this novel flexible or stretchable sensor and the method for the detection of substances and/or electromagnetic radiation, such as detection of hazardous substances and radiation.
· Enables the realisation of large area, stretchable, transparent and ultra-portable sensors.
· The functional oxide is itself stretchable, thereby enabling the stretchable sensors to outperform their rigid counterparts under room temperature conditions.
· The sensors have high dynamic sensing range, particularly of UV-A and UV-B.
· The fast response is highly suitable for imaging applications.
· For use in wearable electronic devices
· Functional, transparent electronic devices
· Can be incorporated into clothing for people working in hazardous or potentially hazardous environments
· Imaging of visible-blind UV radiation for monitoring of sterilisation, lithography, flame detection, environmental studies and military applications
· Detect harmful UV light radiation and can have applications in the prevention of skin aging, eye damage and skin cancer
· Flexible imaging array sensor
· In-situ monitoring of industrial equipment
· Lithography flame detection
· Environmental studies
· Medical and communication equipment
· Many applications in wearable technology
· Wearable, skin-mounted electronic device
· Easily and reliably detect substances including UV radiation or hazardous gases or liquids.