This current technology is a synthesis of dye carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) from agricultural wastes (e.g rice straw, bagasse and corn cob) by cooperation of encapsulation and spray drying techniques. It can be applied to be used as food and non-food additives such as stabilizers, thickeners and plasticizers. Dye CMC is more useful as it contains colour pigments and bio-active compounds from various sources of natural plants. The bio-active compounds can act as antimicrobial and antioxidant substances, imparting additional functional properties to the dye CMC.
There are several advantages for the product to be formulated in the form of dye colour pigment or thickener. Particularly, the capability for the food additives to control the viscosity and stability of colour without the toxicity is greatly enhanced. This is attributed to the hydrophilic property of dye CMC, enabling good dispersion and distribution in water or organic solvents. The technology also includes a controller or accelerator for bio-active releasing when dye CMC is applied in medical and pharmaceutical fields.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
1. Small dye CMC microspheres (>100 µm), beautiful colour, high yield, high viscosity liquid with pH 7-7.5.
2. Contains a synergistic combination of natural pigment and bio-active compounds by micro-encapsulation technique.
3. Lightweight formula for fast and easy solubility in water (98%) and suitable for all food and non-food products.
4. Agricultural wastes (e.g. rice straw, bagasse, corn cob) as raw materials for the synthesis.
5. A combination of encapsulation and spray drying techniques were used to modify the surface of dye CMC particle size for achieving good water solubility with high viscosity.
Dye CMC can be employed in the following industries:
1. Food industry
2. Non-food industry (Papermaking industry, Polymer industry)
3. Cosmetic industry
4. Pharmaceutical industry
In addition, products that can be marketed based on this dye CMC technology include:
1. Food thickener, ingredients and additives
2. Dried strength chemicals
3. Plasticizer and biopolymer thickener
4. Cosmetic thickener
5. Tablet and medicine cohesiveness
1. Small, spherical carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) containing natural pigment and bio-active compounds.
2. More functional properties such as high viscosity, good appearance, high clarity, more bioactive compounds.
3. Lightweight formula for fast and easy solubility in water and suitable for all food and non-food products.
4. Good distribution and dispersion in organic solvents and biopolymer matrices.